Monday, December 2, 2013

Love, and Fathers


Fathers





My article was The Importance of Fathers, an article from Psychology Today
My First point is summed up in this quote, According to a report in "Fathers and Their Impact on Children's Well-Being":
"Even from birth, children who have an involved father are more likely to be emotionally secure, be confident to explore their surroundings, and, as they grow older, have better social connections.”
Fathers are important in their childrens lives because they will play and HUGE impact on the Childs emotional well being.
Point number 2, “Fathers spend a higher percentage of their one-to-one interactions with infants and preschoolers in stimulating, playful activity than do mothers. From these interactions, children learn how to regulate their feelings and behavior.” It is important to have a father play with the children, even from as young as Birth!
Point #3- “Children with involved, caring fathers have better educational outcomes” The impact that a father can have on a child will last into adulthood, when they are pursuing their educational goals
Point #4- “behavioral and general health and well-being areas of a child's life; that having a positive male role model helps an adolescent boy develop positive gender-role characteristics” When the father is involved with the child, it gives the child a healthy sense of gender. They are less likely to have gender confusion, and feel more comfortable with their gender growing up.
Point #5- “a father's presence and involvement can be as crucial to a child's healthy development as is the mother's” It is important to remember that the mother is not the only important parent! Often time the father gets pushed to the side and will be forgotten about. Often times if a father tries to be more involved with a child, he faces hardships from the media, wife and even sometimes the Law. Fathers are just as, if not more important than the mother.
My Father
We can learn from the examples of our fathers to create a family that would be the best environment for children. Some things we may not want to continue and other things we may want to keep. My father did a great job! He is a great example to me. My dad is a dentists and worked a lot, but he was always home in the evenings. My Dad was able to provide for myself and my siblings, I never felt like there was something that I couldn’t have. I was blessed to always have nice looking close, yummy food and a great house. My dad and mother created a system, where if we needed money for something, we could do a few chores and my Dad would pay us. Nothing was ever just handed to us. The down side of that however, is that my dad was working six to five days a week, and would often be on call. Because of this, most of our playing was with our mom, and not so much with my dad. We were always so excited when he came home! Always running up to him to hug his legs. Sometimes my Dad would be tired after a long day of work, and he just wanted to relax. Which I thought at the time was, fine, because I had homework or sports practice. Looking back on it, I wish I could have seen my dad more, and interacted with him. I think if I was closer to him when I was younger it would be easier to be close with him now.  One thing That always touched me growing up, after dinner in the evening while I was getting ready for bed, I could hear my Dad playing his guitar. It was his way of telling us that he loved us, to thid day I love the gutar and recently gsvr my hudbsnd on for his birthday.

My Future

To make sure that my husband is more involved in our children’s lives, I have a few things that I would like to put into to action. First, is to have a father daughter/son activity a couple of times a month. This way I can ensure that my children are spending quality time with their father and also make sure that they have time to get to know him The next thing I would like my children to have a fathers interview at least once a month. In these interviews, the children can say whatever they would like without getting in trouble. Their thoughts, friend situations, anything. This will help keep my husband feeling involved in our children’s lives. It will be a time that they can spend together and show the children that they can trust their dad. It will also give the children an opportunity to speak to their Dad directly, instead of the father hearing about it second hand through the mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment